Instagram Comment Picker tool: What’s new?
If you just want to use the new Instagram Comment Picker tool:
- 1)What’s happening?
- 2)Old vs New Instagram Comment Picker
- 3)How to use the new Instagram Comment Picker?
- 4)Tutorial video: Instagram Comment Picker
As we already announced before and you will probably notice anytime soon, the old Instagram Comment Picker doesn’t work anymore since June 29, 2020. With the old tool, we mean the tool where you could login with your Instagram account.
I hear you thinking, why? That one was working perfect for me. Facebook, the owner of Instagram, decided to deprecate the old legacy Instagram API and move to a new Instagram API. We are using this API to get the posts and comments from your Instagram account. They already planned to do this for a long time, but it took some time to make this happening. The new Instagram API is using the same API as Facebook. This requires you to connect your Instagram account with a Facebook page and login with the Facebook administrator account of that page. Alright, let’s move on to the differences between the two tools.
Old vs New Instagram Comment Picker
What are the differences between the old and the new Instagram Comment Picker tool? Most import difference is that you have to login with Facebook instead of Instagram. We did create some cool new features in the new Instagram Comment Picker which makes the tool even better. Below you will find all differences:
Old Instagram Comment Picker
- Log In with Instagram
- Enter URL of the Instagram post
- Only one raffle option:
- Filter duplicate user
- Limits in Instagram comments
- Free to use
New Instagram Comment Picker
- Log In with Facebook
- Instagram Business Account should be connected with Facebook page
- You should allow permissions for “Access profile and posts from the Instagram account connected to your Page” and “Read content posted on the Page”
- Multiple raffle options:
- Include comment replies
- Filter duplicate
- Filter comments based on text or hashtag
- Add extra entries
- Filter on amount of mentions in comments
- No limits in number of comments
- Store results and create unique giveaway link
- Free to use
How to use the new Instagram Comment Picker?
Before you can start using the new tool, there are a few things that you should do in order to make it work. First one is to make sure you have an Instagram Business account and not a personal account. You can find more info about switch account in this blog: Convert Instagram profile to Business Account. After you have switched to a Business account, it is also important to connect your IG account to a Facebook Page.
How to connect Instagram account to Facebook page?
You can easily connect your Instagram to your Facebook page via the app in the following steps:
- Launch Instagram app
- Tap profile image in the lower right corner
- Tap hamburger icon in the upper right corner
- Tap Settings
- Tap Account
- Tap Linked Accounts
- Tap Facebook and login with your Facebook details.
If it is not working via the Instagram app, it is also possible to connect your Instagram account to Facebook Page via the browser:
- Go to facebook.com and login with the administrator account of the Facebook page
- Navigate to your Facebook page
- Tap Page Settings in the menu on the left
- Tap Instagram in Page Settings menu
- Tap Connect Account
- Login with your Instagram Business account (make sure you use the correct Instagram account)
For both ways it is important that you are logged in with the correct Facebook account to connect your Instagram account to your Facebook Page.
What if you don’t have a Facebook Page?
Unfortunately, it’s always required to have a Facebook Page to use the Instagram Comment Picker. Otherwise, we can’t get any comments from your Instagram account and you can’t use it for your contests and giveaways. You don’t have to use the Facebook Page, just create one and leave it like it is and use it only for the connection with your Instagram account.
All connected, what’s next?
You are ready to use the Comment Picker tool for your promotion, competition, giveaway or contest. Go to the new tool:
- Login with administrator account of the Facebook Page which is connected to your Instagram account.
- Allow the permissions: “Access profile and posts from the Instagram account connected to your Page” and “Read content posted on the Page”. We can’t post anything with those permissions (read in the FAQ why we need those)
- Choose Instagram account (if you have multiple connected)
- Select the IG post which you want to use for your contest or giveaway
- Choose your raffle options and add extra entries if you want
- Click “Get comments” which is getting all comments and entries
- Click the “Start” button to start the raffle and pick random winner
- Create unique giveaway link to share
You could also watch the how-to video below to see the new pick Instagram winner tool is working.
Tutorial video: Instagram Comment Picker
In this video you will learn how to use the new Instagram Comment Picker tool with the Facebook login and allowing the permissions.
We hope after reading this blog you understand why we the old tool is not working anymore and why we had to move to a new tool with Facebook login. We understand that it can be a bit confusing after all and we are happy to help you with any questions or feedback. Please send a message to Facebook / Instagram or leave a comment below. Don’t forget to share this blog with all your friends that should be using the new IG Comment Picker tool.